A paradigm shift
Lay sangha communities in the Insight Tradition have mostly been drop-in and donation supported. Often there are a handful of volunteers, but the challenge is how to empower the full community to feel a sense of ownership. Assaya Sangha’s membership model was developed to radically shift this paradigm and better support:
- A greater sense of belonging and ownership
- A member-centered community vs. teacher-centric
- A full circle model of support that includes everyone
What does it mean to be a member of Assaya Sangha?
Assaya is a spiritual refuge and a place of deep belonging. It is a sisterhood as well as a physical location that provides an environment where practitioners can develop and thrive spiritually. We are a member- centric and supported Sangha. The type of programs, outreach and personal support are driven by the interests of the community. To sustain and flourish we rely on all our members for their dedication, service and enthusiasm for Dharma and community.
As a Community Participant, come practice with us for several months then take the following steps!
A teacher or member of the sanhga will reach out and talk with you in-person or over the phone. This is to go over membership and community agreements, answer questions, and connect you with a senior member of the community.
If membership is a good fit, you’ll be welcomed into the sangha with other incoming members.
Stipulations for Membership
- To undertake the precepts of non-harming
- To uphold Assaya Sangha’s Values and Community Agreements as a practice of non-harming and harmony in the sangha.
- Members with little experience with diversity training will be offered training
- Members will agree to monthly dues and service hours
Membership Dues and Service
Support of Membership Stipulations